Kintsugi Apprentice Program
Earn a Certificate of Completion to practice and foster the craft of kintsugi-repair around the world, through our 100-hour apprenticeship in Kyoto.
As a graduate, you will become an educator, a leader, an ambassador, a mentor, and serves as inspiration for kintsugi practice. Our Apprentice Program ensures that you are armed with the logic, philosophy, traditional tools, natural materials, and historical and cultural context that are at the heart of authentic Japanese kintsugi-repair.
July 3 - August 27
The Kintsugi Apprentice Program is a 100-hour apprenticeship that takes place over two months.
The program is suited for those who are interested in:
- sustainable and regenerative traditional Japanese crafts.
- heritage repair and restoration practices.
- studying Japanese food and drink culture, and relevant etiquette.
- urushi lacquerware technique and history.
- urushi trees and how their presence reflects the Japanese socio-political and environmental landscape.
- Japanese philosophy and aesthetic sensibilities behind kintsugi.
- learning about Japanese tableware: ceramics, porcelain, glassware, wood and lacquerware.
- incorporating kintsugi into their practice.
- teaching kintsugi in their home country.
What does the program include?
- 100 hours of in-studio kintsugi education
- Field trips to visit key people and places behind kintsugi-repair to properly study:
- tool making
- natural materials
- environmental impact
- food culture
- Accommodations, inclusive of utilities and internet, for two months
- Upon completion of the program, you will receive a Certificate of Completion
What is the application process?
- Contact us via the INQUIRE WITHIN button below. Please share reasons why you are interested in the Kintsugi Apprentice Program and what makes you a good candidate.
- We will contact you to schedule a video interview.
- Should the interview go well:
- We will share with you the program itinerary.
- Process any necessary visas.
- Welcome you to Kyoto to begin your apprenticeship!
What is the enrollment fee?
9,775 USD if you apply by 2023 February 28
11,500 USD if you apply by 2023 March 31INQUIRE WITHIN
When is payment due?
Payment is due in full within 14 days of acceptance into the Kintsugi Apprentice Program.
What is the cancellation policy?
Once payment is made, cancellations are possible until 2023 May 31, however a cancellation fee of 4000 USD will be incurred. From 2023 June 1, the enrollment fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.
Should there be any global pandemic related border restrictions to Japan, or lock-downs, we will be in touch to suggest date changes, or 100% of the enrollment fee will be refunded less transfer fees.