Kintsugi Apprentice Program
POJ Studio’s two-month intensive program. Study to practice and share the craft of kintsugi-repair with the world, through our 100-hour apprenticeship in Kyoto.
As a graduate, you will become an educator, leader, ambassador, and mentor, fostering kintsugi practice in your community. The Kintsugi Apprentice Program ensures that you are armed with the logic, philosophy, traditional tools, natural materials, and historical and cultural context that are at the heart of the authentic Japanese tableware restoration technique.
The Kintsugi Apprentice Program is a 100-hour apprenticeship that takes place over two months.
October 1 - November 26
January 8 - March 3
April 1 - May 26
*Dates are subject to slight change.
The program is suited for those who are interested in:
- sustainable and regenerative traditional Japanese crafts.
- heritage repair and restoration practices.
- studying Japanese food and drink culture, and relevant etiquette.
- urushi lacquerware technique and history.
- urushi trees and how their presence reflects the Japanese socio-political and environmental landscape.
- Japanese philosophy and aesthetic sensibilities behind kintsugi.
- learning about Japanese tableware: ceramics, porcelain, glassware, wood and lacquerware.
- incorporating kintsugi into their practice.
- teaching kintsugi in their home country.
What does the program* include?
- 100 hours of kintsugi education with thorough practical kintsugi-repair training, specifically around the repair of ceramic and porcelain pieces
- Field trips to visit key people and places behind kintsugi-repair to properly study:
- tool making
- natural materials
- environmental impact
- food culture
- Two months accommodations. Private studio apartments inclusive of workspace, kitchenette, toilet, bath/shower, washing machine. Utilities and internet are also included. Conveniently located approximately 10 mins by bicycle or 20 mins by public transport to POJ Studio.
*Program hours vary each day. The commitment will be 100 total hours, usually spread across over 3 days a week, for 8 weeks.
What is the application process?
The application process will proceed as the following.
- Complete the application form.
- We will contact you to schedule a video interview.
- We will assess your full application and interview internally.
- Welcome you to Kyoto to begin your apprenticeship!
What is the enrollment fee?
9,775 USD early application by 2023 June 15
11,500 USD standard application by 2023 July 15
9,775 USD early application by 2023 September 15
11,500 USD standard application by 2023 October 15
9,775 USD early application by 2023 December 15
11,500 USD standard application by 2024 January 15
When is payment due?
Payment is due in full within 14 days of acceptance into the Kintsugi Apprentice Program.
What is the cancellation policy?
Once payment is made, cancellations are possible until one month prior to the start of the term, however a cancellation fee of 4000 USD will be incurred. Thereafter, the enrollment fee is fully non-refundable and non-transferable.
Should there be any global pandemic-related border restrictions to Japan, or lock-downs, we will be in touch to suggest date changes, or 100% of the enrollment fee will be refunded less transfer fees.